Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Wisdom (teeth)

We have had a several week run of 5am wakings. In conjunction with only 1 hour naps, this does not make for a happy mom or a happy Girl.

Sunday evening was really the topper. To bed at 6:45pm, up from 1:30-3:00, then for good at 5:15am. Ouch. Girly was crying from her bed at 1:30 and, instead of waiting to see if she would go back to sleep, I went to rock her a bit. She instantly fell asleep in my arms. I put her back in her crib after about 5 minutes ... and ... let the crying commence. (As I stood up with her from the chair, she started tapping my shoulder as if to say, "Umm - scuze me - I am comfortable here - sit your ass down.")

I was lamenting to a friend about the up-all-nightedness and she asked about teeth. Teeth? Oh yeah. Those. Didn't occur to me in my middle-of-the-night momnesia stupor.

She has been chewing on her hands and everything in site for weeks, but I hadn't seen any teeth on the brief inspection Girly will allow. Then today, what do I find? A MOLAR! I surely didn't think we were ready for those. She only has 4 upper teeth and 2 lower, but I guess the tooth fairy doesn't ask which ones you want next.

(Here is a little chart about tooth eruption, not that we have followed this pattern).

So, Motrin is our friend again. I can't say that this is the sole cause of the early waking. (It started before the time change, which I thought would help things, but alas has not. ) We have fostered some behavioral component by getting her out of bed at 5:15am to come to our bed so we can catch 7 more minutes of sleep. I know we could and should leave her in bed to figure it out on her own, but sometimes sleep wins.

I am also experimenting with black out shades for her naps. She naps better at school than at home, which is crazy to me. A few variables to consider,though: 1) it is darker in her school room than in her bedroom, and 2) there is a peer pressure component when the room is filled with other sleeping children. I have resisted black out shades for an unknown reason. I guess I thought I didn't want her to become dependent on almost total darkness for napping. In reality, though, she almost exclusively naps at school or home, so it isn't a big deal. And the thought that I might be able to count on 1 1/2 or 2 hours of napping is just SO APPEALING.

I should have known better about the teeth ... the last time her sleeping was so disrupted teething was definitely the cause. Let this be a reminder to you. Also, as my friend said, there just must be something about the smell of a mom's neck that makes teeth feel better.

1 comment:

Marie Hooker said...

You can get black our shades OR have more babies so they can ALL take naps in the same room! There is some homemade peer pressure for you!