Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sunshine and Muffins

Nope. No cryptic or clever meaning behind this. Just simply that we've been enjoying the sunshine and I made some muffins.

The weather just all of a sudden became beautiful and warm. Dare I say too warm? No, I dare-n't. I do hope we get a true spring, but I'll take this over snow any day.

In the sudden-ness of the sunshine, I realized that we didn't have any outside toys. Since our days are now filled with pleas for "ow-side", "ow-side", "OW-SIDE!!", we made a quick dash to Target for some balls and sidewalk chalk. The chalk is mostly for eating, of course.

I also had to dig out the sunscreen and, as expected, it is even more challenging to lotion up a squirmy 16-month-old than a slightly-less-squirmy baby. I also realized the Girly is continuing with her protest of all hats and things hat-like, so I had to get creative with protecting her head.

Last year, she would tolerate a sun hat and we really didn't spend all that much time outside in the sun, what with the napping and breastfeeding around the clock. This year, though, her hair is almost always in pigtails and I worry about her scalp burning. I like our California Baby sunscreen, but it really doesn't work for her scalp. I needed something quick and grabbed the Banana Boat Kids spray sunscreen at Costco. I have enough to spray the scalps of a gaggle of children - come on over. I had a little bit of buyer's remorse about possibly not choosing the 'safest' sunscreen (see Safe Mama's list here), but then I had to get over it because a burnt scalp is far worse.

Also, note to self: If there is a Child #2, work harder on getting them to wear hats.

As for the sunglasses, Girly's eyes are bright blue and I notice her squinting. I am terrible at wearing sunglasses (they just never look right on my face. Tips??), but I really would like her to wear some. I got some at Target that are on an elastic band with velcro in the back. Umm, FAIL. Any good ones that your kids will wear?

As for the muffins, these are a good (pretty healthy) treat. I got the recipe from Mark Bittman's blog, which always has delicious sounding stuff.

Here is the original post. Be sure to click through to the Minimalist column and read it for extra tips and pointers, including the comments. I made them as written with canned pumpkin the first time because it is so easy. Truthfully, I thought they were just so-so, but Girly loved them. Next time I will jazz them up with some spices and a more flavorful fruit/veggie. I even wonder if peaches or strawberries would work? Maybe too liquidy ...

Whole Wheat Muffins
Published: February 5, 2010

1/2 cup melted unsalted butter, more for greasing tins

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, preferably pastry flour (keep your whole wheat flour in the freezer)

3/4 to 1 cup sugar, depending on sweetness of fruit

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup mashed or puréed banana, sweet potato, apple, zucchini, cooked or canned pumpkin, or other fruits or vegetables

1 egg, beaten

1/2 cup buttermilk (I uses this buttermilk powder so I always have it on hand. Just mix with water! You can find it at any grocery store, I bet.)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease two 6-cup muffin tins or fill with liners. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the melted butter, banana, egg and buttermilk. Fold wet mixture into dry mixture and stir until just combined.

2. Fill muffin tins or liners; bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until muffins are puffed and turning golden brown on top. Serve warm if possible.

Yield: 12 (regular sized) muffins. I made mini muffins and it makes a ton.


Finally, if I was a betting girl, I would bet that our daughter will be a huge fan of popsicles. I think some of these molds might be in order so I can make a healthy version with blended fruit and yogurt.

I probably should taste them first, though, just to make sure they are OK.

1 comment:

Marie Hooker said...

I will help test popsicles, too. Let me know if you find a great recipe that is EASY!

No sunglasses or hats at our house, either. I haven't even pulled out sunscreen yet, so you are better than I am!