Sunday, November 4, 2018

Six!

Sweet Georgia, my little mouse ...

I'm writing this three days after your birthday, because surely it hasn't been a whole year since we last did this?? As we set off for trick-or-treating this year, we talked about how it all took place the year you were born, Ellen going off to Grammy and Papa's and Dad and I getting up early the next morning to have you! In some ways, it seems like light years ago - I can hardly remember that baby version of you.

You've changed so much this year, starting Kindergarten and holding your own in every way. You love school and learning and work so hard to understand things and get things right. You have a touch of that perfectionism that Ellen and I have, as well, and we're working hard to channel that into hard work and not tears of frustration.

You are head strong, always with a plan and always wanting things to go your way. I relent more than I used to - partially out of fatigue, and partially because I recognize now so little of it really matters. Wear cat ear headband to school? Sure. Wear sandals when it's freezing out? Whatever you want. We lay clothes out every Sunday night for the week, as we've always done, and most days you change the plan anyway.

You are Ellen are the best of friends and worst of enemies. She pesters you and you pester her and there is fighting and chasing and yelling and screaming. There are also wonderful moments when you help each other and use your imaginations and build things together. You're so lucky to have each other and as each of you get older, I know these sweet times may be fleeting, but I hope you'll always return to them.

You're more willing to try new things these days, making meal time much more enjoyable, until it isn't because you throw a fit. New favorites are vegetable sushi rolls, tempura, mayonnaise, and tuna salad, of all things!

You love bed time books, though still not quite ready for reading chapter books like we did with Ellen. There is just so much you want to explore and do - it's hard to sit still! Our compromise lately is bed time stories - you tell me 3 or 4 random things and I make a story out of them, then you do the same.

We took three of your new little friends to a puppet show and to Andre's for treats to celebrate your birthday. I was so proud of your maturity and good behavior and helpfulness. While you can be squirrely and obstinate at home, you rise to the occasion beautifully and I hope I can always count on you to do the same with others.

Speaking of parties, your birthday was on a school day this year and though Dad stopped by your classroom in the morning, it does tend to get overshadowed by Halloween. You came home, said it was a great day, and promptly set up a birthday party in the playroom - setting the table for your favorite stuffed animal friends and making personalized treat bags. You are so thoughtful, truly always putting the happiness of your friends and Ellen above your own. You are immensely creative and while I try to hold my tongue about the messes you make, I do love to see the way your brain works.

Your favorite thing to do is hoarding small items / toys / crayons / cut up paper into small bags, putting them into bigger bags, and spreading them all over the house. My wish for you, sweet six-year-old, is a year full of tiny moments of happiness that you can save forever.

Love you so much!
Momma

1 comment:

Ufa88kh said...

I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work.
wordpress
blogspot
youtube
កីឡាបាល់ទាត់​ អនឡាញ