Saturday, May 29, 2010

More guilt: the sunscreen edition

Yep.

I'm here again to make you feel bad about sunscreen.

I've already posted a bit of info about our struggle with sunscreen here and here. Full disclosure: since my last post about buying gallons of spray sunscreen, we have only used it once since Girly has such sensitive skin and got a rash.

Our approach since then has been to use California Baby's SPF18 Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion everyday before school since it is easier to apply than the thicker California Baby SPF30 Sunscreen that we've been reserving for pool use. I don't feel it's a great solution because it is a lower SPF and it doesn't address the scalp-burning issue, but at least it is better than nothing?

Now, I've just read two blogs today about the new Environmental Working Group's 2010 Sunscreen Guide. Here is what Ain't No Mom Jeans has to say, and here is what Safe Mama has to say.

Why so scary?

(UPDATED to add this less-fear-mongering report with advice from the American Cancer Society).

I had actually already been researching Supergoop and they seem to have good, safe products. I especially love the idea of their Sunscreen Swipes for on-the-go and daycare purposes. Will seek some out this weekend (pricey, though).

Jason also has some natural sunscreen products, and a spray that I have been trying to find.

So, what do you use? What's your approach?

Further ... any luck with sun hats? I really would like Girly to wear one (plus, they're so cute!) but just find it a MAJOR battle.

1 comment:

Marie Hooker said...

Have you found something good for her face yet? P gets little red bumps on his face from the stuff we have been using...